This last time I added 1 cup each of hemp seed and chia seed. Â I started out by toasting in coconut oil the flax, hemp, chia, sesame and wheat germ all stirred in together. Â This had a fabulous nutty taste once toasted. Â I sent whole nuts through the food processor for bits instead of whole – next time a nut grinder might be better for more even chunks, but still good. Â I used coconut oil instead of canola oil in the syrup and I think it was much better.
Aunt Joan's Granola
Author: Aunt Joan
- Oatmeal Mix:
- 4 C Oatmeal (reg, not 1 min)
- 1 C Wheat Germ
- 1 C Ground Flax seed
- 1 C Pumpkin Seeds (raw, unsalted)
- 1 C Sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted)
- 1 C Nuts (sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc)
- 1 C Sesame Seeds
- 1 C Coconut (regular)
- Separately, mix and cook until bubbling:
- ½ Cup Honey (raw, local)
- ½ C vegetable oil (not olive; use canola)
- 2 heaping Tbls Cinnamon
- Combine the Oatmeal Mix ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add Syrup to the oatmeal mixture, stirring thoroughly until all is well coated.
- Spread mixture on 2 cookie sheets
- Bake at 250 for ~20 minutes
- Stir to avoid sticking
- Bake an additional 20 min
- Remove from oven and add 1 cup of dried fruit
- Stir and allow to cool
- Store in freezer bags
Notes: Craisens are good, dried cherries were too sweet/chewy; dried apples were good – and even better if added for the last 20 minutes of cook time so they toasted.