These chocolate crinkle cookies are delicious!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup butter
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup chopped pecans or other nuts, optional
- confectioners' sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light; add vanilla then beat in eggs and melted chocolate.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (stir if necessary to make the dough firmer).
- Roll balls in confectioners' sugar and place on lightly greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart (this is what makes them crinkle).
- Bake at 350° for 14 to 16 minutes, or until cookies are firm in the center.
- Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks.
Traditional Middle Eastern Butter cookie.
Butter Cookies (Gribee)
Author: Helen Corey
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup clarified butter (Ghee), chilled
- 1 cup super-fine (powdered) sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose-water
- 2 cups flour
- In food processor with steel blade, cream butter, adding sugar and rose-water and process until fluffy.
- Add flour and pulse (turning motor off and on) until flour disappears and mixture is soft.
- Place dough in bowl.
- Pinch off dough the size of golf balls and shape as desired. (Traditionally about 2-1/4" in circumference indented in center with your finger).
- Place on ungreased baking tray and bake in 300° oven for 15-20 minutes until bottoms are very light brown. Tops will remain white.
- Let cool several hours before removing from pan.
We usually prefer the Dark Chocolate variation.
White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- 2⅔ cups rolled oats (use old-fashioned, not quick or instant).
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- ½ tsp salt.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces white chocolate, broken into pieces.
- ½ cup walnut halves, finely chopped.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter.
- 1⅓ cubs firmly packed light brown sugar.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- 2 large eggs.
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Whisk oats, flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl; stir in dried cranberries, white chocolate and nuts.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Continue to simmer over medium-low heat until the milk solids turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.; take care not to burn.
- Pour browned butter into a large bowl and whisk in brown sugar until combined. Whisk in cinnamon, then whisk in eggs and vanilla, beating well after each. Add dry mixture to wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Mixture will be thick. Drop by generously rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake until light golden brown and just dry to the touch, but still a little soft inside, about 10 minutes. (For chewier oatmeal cookies, bake 30 seconds to 1 minute less. For very crispy cookies bake 30 seconds to 1 minute more.) Slide parchment onto racks to cool cookies completely.
- Dark chocolate cherry oatmeal cookies: Substitute dark chocolate for the white, and dried cherries for cranberries.
- Browned butter oatmeal cookies with milk chocolate and candied orange: Substitue milk chocolate for the white, and diced candied orange for the cranberries.