Chicken in Sherry Cream Sauce
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- Artichokes – 2 8oz cans (in water, not oil!), drained
- Mushrooms – 1lb; sliced, washed
- Chicken – 5 breasts, cut in half
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sherry
- 3 TB butter
- 4 TB flour
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese, grated or shredded
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter or oil a casserole dish (8×12) – I use olive oil.
- Layer the mushrooms and artichokes in the bottom of the dish.
- Precook the chicken in sherry – I basically sautée it in sherry until it looks cooked on the outside and I tend to trim it well, and cut into tenders.
- Layer the chicken in the pan on top of the artichokes and mushrooms.
- Add to the sherry: broth, cream, milk, salt & pepper to taste, and butter, and bring to boil. I added a little more sherry at this point because I used it to rinse the rest of the cream and milk from the measuring cup. Feel free to vary proportions to taste.
- Whisk in the flour a tablespoon at a time to thicken the sauce, but you want sauce, not gravy, so not too much!
- Pour liquid over the chicken and artichokes.
- Add a layer of breadcrumbs (I use unseasoned panko ones)
- Add a layer of parmesan cheese.
- Bake the whole thing at 350 for 30 minutes
- Serve over rice.