Recipe type: Candy
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 24 -32 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 -6 tablespoons shortening
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until it forms a dough.
- Knead on a surface sprinkled with more sugar until dough is stiff.
- Add more sugar while kneading if the dough is sticky.
- Roll ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into approximately 1¼ to 1½ inch circles. If they are much bigger than that they fall apart when you dip them.
- Place the patties on parchment paper covered baking sheet and put into freezer for several hours.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler and keep warm while dipping.
- Using a fork dip the patties in the chocolate to coat completely.
- Place on a wax paper covered pan and put in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate shell.