Eggnog from 1895
Eggnog recipe from B. Dylan Hollis TikTok channel. Taken from an 1895 cookbook
Author: B. Dylan Hollis
Recipe type: Drinks
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- Add 5 egg yolks (save the whites for later) to a mixing bowl
- Mix in 1 cup sugar until smooth
- Add milk and heavy cream to a cauldron (or sauce pan if you don't have a cauldron) stir in 4 whole cloves and cinnamon.
- Scald the milk then use about half the milk mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add the eggs back into the rest of the milk mixture and heat over low heat until thick.
- Strain the mixture to remove the cloves and allow to cool slightly.
- Whip 5 egg whites to stiff peaks with nutmeg and vanilla to taste
- Stir the egg white mixture into the egg and milk mixture.
- You can return to heat if you're not comfortable with uncooked egg whites.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Top with more nutmeg and add rum if desired.
Checkout the original video here: B Dylan Hollis – 1895 Eggnog Recipe