Wacky Cake from the Great Depression
Another one from B. Dylan Hollis (@bdylanhollis) on TikTok. This time a chocolate cake with no eggs or milk - so technically a vegan chocolate cake.
Author: B. Dylan Hollis
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1?½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F(175 C)
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into an 8x8 inch ungreased cake pan.
- Make three depressions. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well.
- Pour water over all, and stir well with fork.
- Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan
- Combine Sugar and cocoa in a mixing bowl
- Slowly add water until thick
Original Video: Wacky Cake from the Great Depression