Traditional Middle Eastern Butter cookie.
Butter Cookies (Gribee)
Taken from "Food from Biblical Lands"
Author: Helen Corey
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 25 Cookies
- 1 cup clarified butter (Ghee), chilled
- 1 cup super-fine (powdered) sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose-water
- 2 cups flour
- In food processor with steel blade, cream butter, adding sugar and rose-water and process until fluffy.
- Add flour and pulse (turning motor off and on) until flour disappears and mixture is soft.
- Place dough in bowl.
- Pinch off dough the size of golf balls and shape as desired. (Traditionally about 2-1/4" in circumference indented in center with your finger).
- Place on ungreased baking tray and bake in 300° oven for 15-20 minutes until bottoms are very light brown. Tops will remain white.
- Let cool several hours before removing from pan.