Originally from A Year of Slow Cooking, I've revised it a little
Recipe type: Main
- --~3 lb beefÂ roast, trimmed of fat
- --3/4 cup brewed coffee
- --8 oz sliced mushrooms
- -- 4-5 chopped garlic cloves
- --1/2 tsp salt
- --1/4 black pepper
- --1 T Worcestershire sauce
- --3 T red wine vinegar
- -- a cup of sour cream
- --~1 cup Marsala wine
- Trim the fat, and use some of the fat to sautee the garlic and mushrooms, then add to crockpot
- Brown the roast in the remaining drippings (add olive oil if needed).
- Remove and add to crockpot along with salt/pepper
- Use a mix of the coffee, Worcestershire,and red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Add liquid and scrapings to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5.
- Carefully remove the meat/mushrooms from the pot, and stir in the sour cream.
- Move to pan and reduce on stove, stirring frequently.
- Add a cup or so of Marsala at this point.
- Pour sauce over the meat and serve with rice.