Start to Finish: 30 minutes Makes: 4 servings
- 1 ounce basil and tomato feta cheese (1/4 cup)*
- 2 tbs. light tub-style cream cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Dash kosher salt
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package prewashed fresh spinach
- 2 tbs. walnut or pecan pieces toasted
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- Lemon slices, halved (optional)
* Note: If you canâ€™t find basil and tomato feta cheese, stir 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil and 1 tsp. snipped oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained, into 1 ounce (1/4 cup crumbled) plain feta cheese.
- In a small bowl combine feta cheese, cream cheese, and mint; set aside. Using a sharp knife cut a 1 1/2 inch horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket that is about 1 inch deep. Stuff pockets with cheese mixture. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Season chicken with pepper and kosher salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (170Â° F), turning occasionally to brown evenly (reduce heat to medium if chicken browns to quickly). Remove chicken from skillet. Cover and keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat for 1 minute. Carefully add chicken broth to skillet. Return to heat; bring to boiling. Gradually add spinach to skillet, cooking and tossing with tongs just until spinach is wilted (should take 2 to 3 minutes total). Stir in the nuts and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide spinach mixture among four dinner plates. Top with chicken breasts. If desired garnish with lemon slices.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 266 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 92 mg chol., 345 mg sodium, 4 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 37 g pro.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 5 Very Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
For Wave 1, serve with cooked quinoa and cooked zucchini. For waves 2 and 3, serve with cooked quinoa and fresh berries.
Wine Paring: Sauvignon Blanc